The UITM houses state-of-the-art laboratories dedicated to education and scientific research. The innovative facilities enable us to combine theory with practice, which is of great importance when it comes to the contemporary job market and links between science and business. The laboratories can be used by the UITM faculty when doing research and students.
The Research and Training Centre “Laboratory of Tissue and Cell Culture” was established in order to enable broad spectrum of in vitro studies, using mammalian cell lines. The facility consist of The Laboratory of Tissue and Cell Culture and The Laboratory of Immunology and Allergology.
The Tissue and Cell Culture Laboratory is equipped with:
- laminar flow transfer hood,
- cellculture CO2 incubator,
- aspiration pump,
- automatic cell counter,
- inverted microscope Nikon Eclipse TS1000,
- water bath,
- liquid nitrogen dewar,
- fridge and freezer.
The Laboratory of Immunology and Allergology:
- Millipore water purification system,
- analytical balance,
- pH meter,
- vertical electrophoresis system,
- microplate reader,
- microplate washer,
- Practical course in Immunology and Allergology.
- The influence of cosmetic components on growth, proliferation and survival of human skin fibroblasts,
- The pathology and novel biomarkers of early atherosclerosis.
The Carl Zeiss LSM 700 Laser Scanning Microscope sets a new standard in confocal microscopy. Based on tried-and-approved technology concepts, the system offers innovative solutions for image analyses of extraordinary sensitivity and quality.
The generation of a 3D image: Applying Z-stack allows the collection of several optical sections in the specimen to create a three dimensional image. The confocal system is more suited for thick specimens as it removes the out-of-focus light in the specimen. It allows to simultaneous detection of two or three fluorescently-tagged proteins and their co-localization in examined specimen and observation and collection of images during physiological process using time lapse recording.
Our system is suitable for analysis of protein dynamics in live cells using the techniques such as:
- Fluorescent Resonant Energy Transfer (FRET) through a channel comparison;
- Fluorescent Recovery after Photo-bleaching (FRAP);
- Fluorescent Loss in Photo-bleaching (FLIP).
- Biology and genetics.
Microbiological laboratory is designed for working with microbiological materials (bacterial cultures, yeast and Drosophila melanogaster). The experiments related to the staining of bacterial cells, biochemical and physiological experiments and observations of microscopic identification are carried out in the laboratory.
The cosmetics, beauty products are tested according to standard procedures.
The laboratory is also used for research on yeast cell and genetics of Drosophila melanogaster.
- Thermostat – incubator;
- Hot-air sterilizer;
- UV Lamps;
- Fume hood;
- Thermostated rooms for culture grow.
- Biology and genetics;
- Cultures of bacterial cells;
- Cultures of D. melanogaster mutants;
- Cultures of S. cerevisiae;
- Search for S. cerevisiae mutants resistant to high concentrations of polyamines;
- Microbiological analysis of cosmetics.
The laboratory is equipped with different computer tools and systems which can be used to develop, implement and test telemedicine systems, ambient intelligence systems, computer aided diagnosis systems as well as computer measurement systems used in the medical diagnosis.
- A telemonitor for remotely monitoring patients’ physiological parameters of: ECG, hemoglobin oxygen saturation (in arterial blood, the SaO2), pulse, non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP). It allows to send basic physiological parameters of the patients to the monitoring center.
- A telemedicine system for monitoring patients’ physiological parameters. It allows to send recorded ECG examinations through the Internet or mobile telephony.
- A system for presenting visual information sent by telemonitors as well as archiving that information in databases on computer disks.
- Programmable synthesizers, function generators and oscilloscopes for testing measurement systems.
- Multifunction data acquisition (DAQ) modules for developing applications using dynamic signal acquisition and sensor measurements.
- A graphical programming environment (LabVIEW) for developing measurement, test, and control systems.
- An eye-tracker for measuring eye positions and eye movement to test or develop visual systems in psychology and cognitive science.
- telemedicine systems,
- computer measurement systems,
- computer-aided diagnosis in medicine.
- designing ambient intelligence systems for health monitoring,
- designing computer systems for diagnosis and therapy in psychology,
- designing computer-based clinical decision support systems,
- designing decision support systems based on computational intelligence.
The Laboratory of Automatics and Robotics is equipped with several robotic solutions which can be used for research in fields like control theory, artificial intelligence etc. The laboratory is also equipped with five PLC Beckhoff controllers which allow to develop, implement and test software for automation systems.
- Bioloid Premium Robot Kit,
- Manoi PF01,
- Scorbot 4u,
- AL5A KT Robotic Arm Kit,
- Universal Robot UR-6,
- RP6 Robot System,
- Surveyor SRV-1,
- Hexor II,
- E-Puck education robot,
- Khepera III,
- MobileRobots AmigoBot,
- 3 x Beckhoff CX9000 with input and output modules,
- Beckhoff CX1100 with input and output modules,
- Beckhoff CP6000 with input and output modules.
- Foundation of Automation and Robotics,
- Application of IT in Automation and Robotics.
- Control theory,
- Artificial intelligence,
- Motivated learning.
This comprehensive laboratory is equipped to perform didactic experiments in three areas: physics, optoelectronics and telecommunication metrology. The main aim of this lab is to support the teaching process of graduate and post-graduate studies of Information Technology.
- FUJIKURA fusion splicer FSM18S with a tool kit,
- FLUKE DTX-1200 Cable Analyzer with an OTDR module,
- other tools needed to implement optical and UTP LAN cabling,
- digital and analog oscilloscopes,
- function generators,
- logic analyzers,
- microprocessor systems DSM-51,
- Siemens controllers SIMATIC CPU221,
- optical table with equipment,
- optical spectrometer,
- multifunctional interface for computerized measurement and control,
- oscilloscopes, function generators and power supplies,
- digital and analog multimeters, laboratory balances, micrometers.
- telecommunication metrology,
- fiber optics and distribution systems,
- UTP cable systems and standards,
- basic and advanced measurements,
- characteristics of electronic circuits,
- analysis of optoelectronic devices,
- microprocessor programming,
- process implementation using programmable controllers,
- basic physical experiments in dynamics, mechanics, optics, electricity and electronics, thermodynamics and others.
The laboratory is equipped with high-end workstations with versatile graphical software installed, as well as with various devices, such as a 3D scanner, a 3D printer or a virtual cave. It can be used to create advanced graphical projects, starting from webdesign, through photography and visualization, to special effects and rapid prototyping. Moreover, the laboratory can be used to conduct research on virtual reality and its influence on the human psyche.
- 10 workstations equipped with high-end graphical software;
- 8 terminals that allow users to log into the graphical server containing the same graphical software;
- A virtual cave for research on virtual reality;
- A photographic studio equipped with light rig and backgrounds;
- A 3D printer for rapid prototyping;
- A 3D scanner for space scanning and creating virtual models of interiors and buildings;
- A motion capture system for movement acquisition and transfer into virtual characters;
- A 3D projector.
- Introduction to computer graphics;
- graphical design workshop;
- geometry modelling;
- virtual reality systems;
- raster and vector graphics;
- 3D graphics;
- animation and video;
- digital photography and video workshop;
- digital photography editing.
- research on the possible uses of the virtual reality;
- research on third dimension aspect in image;
- research on distributed graphical computing;
- research on the possible uses of the motion capture technique.
The goal of the Software Engineering Laboratory is to study the software engineering discipline as well as areas that impact the way software is developed, maintained and managed. That professional laboratory allows to develop competencies within knowledge and skills concerning developing business plans for the construction of computer software, performance requirements specification, software design in accordance with the agreed methodology (structured or object-oriented), the use of design patterns, working together with other designers/developers, developing and maintaining standards of a software design team, knowing how to use assistive software development, designing and performing inspection of requirement specification, of the source code, as well as developing and testing codes, managing software configuration, and preparing project documentation.
- Enterprise Architect (Floating License) software;
- Omondo Eclipse UML 2.2 software;
- Poseidon for UML software;
- Visual Paradigm.
- Software engineering;
- System engineering;
- Programming languages and methodologies;
- Methods and optimization techniques;
- Refactoring, design and testing;
- Technologies for building user programs.
- collaborating with the software engineering industry in technological transfer of knowledge;
- adapting it to various industrial contexts;
- assessing the effect of new technologies, tools, and techniques on the software process;
- supporting research in measuring and evaluating the software development process;
- designing decision support systems based on computational intelligence.
It is a high-tech laboratory equipped with Apple computers and the newest versions of software for photo editing, vector graphics creation, composition and other 2D graphics activities. The studio is also equipped with professional software for 3D graphics creation. With regard to its ergonomics, the hardware available in the laboratory is very comfortable and enhances the workflow, thanks to which students have a chance to study on professional equipment used by graphic companies all around the world.
- 15 up-to-date Apple iMAC computers with graphical software for two-dimensional raster and vector graphics, animation and three-dimensional graphics;
- 15 professional medium-sized graphic tablets;
- 2 portable graphics stations with 4 core processors and professional graphic cards to support the work of computer graphics applications.
- Introduction to computer graphics;
- Raster and vector graphics;
- Graphic design;
- Animation and video;
- Movement in animation;
- Three dimensional graphics;
- 3D sculpting.
- Supporting the research conducted in the Laboratory of Virtual Reality and Image Processing.
- Digital and analog oscilloscopes, with software for remote work;
- Signal generators (with direct digital synthesis), with frequency sweep and modulation (AM,FM);
- Computer Measurement System (ATS-2);
- Audio equipment (amplifiers, a mixer, speakers, microphones);
- Evaluation board with digital signal processors and hardware codecs;
- Room acoustics prediction software (CATT Acoustic, Cara);
- Digital signal processing software;
- Speech recognition software;
- Language modeling tool.
- Acoustics and sound processing;
- Computer measurement systems;
- Speech recognition and synthesis;
- Digital signal processing.
- Speech recognition;
- Language modeling.
In the laboratory, specialist classes are conducted in the field of wired and wireless computer networks for full-time, part-time, post-graduate studies, courses and trainings. Within the subjects taught in this laboratory, students become familiar with a wide spectrum of state-of-the-art technologies used in modern data communication networks. Apart from knowledge on the latest network technologies, students gain knowledge and practical skills in design, administration and management of computer networks and also network security.
- Cisco 5508 Wireless Controllers deliver reliable performance, enhanced flexibility, and zero service-loss for mission-critical wireless. 802.11n offers up to nine times the performance of 802.11a/g networks. Interactive multimedia applications, such as voice and video, can now perform flawlessly over the wireless network, and clients can conveniently roam with no service interruption. Flexible licensing allows you to easily add access point support or premium software features.
- The Cisco 3300 Series Mobility Services Engine is an appliance-based platform for delivering mobility services in a centralized and scalable fashion across wired and wireless networks. The Mobility Services Engine supports an open API for easy integration with enterprise and mobile applications, as well as the development of industry-relevant services.
- Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers are responsible for system-wide wireless LAN functions, such as security policies, intrusion prevention, RF management, quality of service (QoS), and mobility. They work in conjunction with Cisco Access Points and the Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS) to support business-critical wireless applications. From voice and data services to location tracking, Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers provide the control, scalability, security, and reliability that network managers need to build secure, enterprise-scale wireless networks – from branch offices to main campuses.
- The Cisco 2921 Integrated Services Router (ISR) delivers highly secure data, voice, video, and application services for small offices. Security – Embedded hardware-accelerated VPN encryption – Secure collaborative communications with Group Encrypted Transport VPN, Dynamic Multipoint VPN, or Enhanced Easy VPN – Integrated threat control using Cisco IOS Firewall, Cisco IOS Zone -Based Firewall, Cisco IOS IPS, and Cisco IOS Content Filtering – Identity management: Intelligently protecting endpoints using authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA), and public key infrastructure Voice – High-density packet voice DSP module, optimized for voice and video support – Standards-certified Voice XML browser services – Cisco Unified Border Element capabilities – Cisco Unity Express voicemail support – Support for Cisco Communications Manager Express and Survivable Remote Site Telephony.
- Cisco Aironet Series Access Points provide single-band 802.11g wireless connectivity for challenging RF environments such as factories, warehouses, and large retail establishments. Connectorized antennas, a rugged metal enclosure, and a broad operating temperature range offer extended range and coverage versatility. The Cisco Aironet Series provides local as well as inline power, including support for IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE).
- PMP 430 Wireless Broadband Access Network – Connect with high performance in the 5 GHz band. The PMP 430 with OFDM technology delivers 40+ Mbps throughput, ranges up to 30 miles (48 km) and near-line of sight (nLOS) performance for reliable and secure data, voice and video connectivity. With low one-way latency of less than 3.5 msec the PMP 430 is ideal for sensitive voice and video services. SMs can be upgraded from 4 Mbps throughput to 40 Mbps via a software key system to meet customers’ growing need for bandwidth.
- Cisco Unified Communications is a comprehensive IP communications system of voice, video, data, and mobility products and applications. It enables more effective, more secure, and more personal communications that directly affect both sales and profitability. It brings people together by enabling a new way of communicating in which your business moves with you, security is everywhere, and information is always available whenever and wherever it is needed. Cisco Unified Communications is part of an integrated solution that includes network infrastructure, security, mobility, network management products, lifecycle services, flexible deployment and outsourced management options, end-user and partner financing packages, and third-party communications applications.
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate);
- CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional);
- network security (preparation for the CCSP certification);
- IP telephony (preparing for the CCVP certification);
- Wireless technologies (CWNE certification preparation).
- Human behavior in the traffic in LAN networks;
- Comparison of traffic self-similarity in different computer networks;
- The study of traffic anomalies in LAN;
- The method of GMPLS network reliability evaluation;
- Service availability analysis of GMPLS network.
The IBAF financial laboratory project is patterned on the best such centers worldwide which have created professional transaction rooms at universities to provide both financial education in unique conditions and the ability to carry out the most advanced academic research.
- 24 workstations equipped with dual LCD monitors;
- Data wall displaying various types of financial information;
- 52-inch television with access to digital business content channels;
- Interactive ‘smart’ wall board.
- Transaction platforms for trading in financial instruments, provided by TMS Brokers;
- Data from financial markets, provided by Notoria and TMS Brokers;
- Programs for organizing and analyzing personal finance and investments.
- The laboratory is equipped to support research in financial analysis, financial management, risk measurement, behavioral finance and other financial fields.